When we’re in the mood for a taste of the Caribbean, we head over to Coconuts in downtown Palo Alto. Dining there and listening to reggae music makes us feel like we’re back in the Caribbean again!
If you haven’t tried Caribbean-West Indian cuisine yet, you’re in for a real treat. Island Specialties are served family style so you can share the plates with your party and sample all the amazing flavors.
Here are just a few of our favorite dishes:
- Half Jerk Chicken (Slow-cooked Chicken, smoked over Allspice Wood, brushed with Jerk Sauce) – this has a slight kick to it; medium spicy
- Jerk Salmon (Atlantic Salmon grilled with Signature Jerk Sauce, Spinach and Garbanzo Relish) – it just melts in your mouth
- Six-Hour Braised Oxtail (fall-off-the-bone tender, you don’t need a knife), served with Broad Beans and Carrots
- Boneless Jerk Pork (Tender Pork, smoked over wood with Roasted Sweet Potato)
– so flavorful
- Fried Ripe Plantains (sooooooooo good!) – bet ya can’t eat just one!
Pace yourself – you won’t want to miss dessert! Yummy selections include: Warm Sweet Potato Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream, Coconut Tuille, Rum Coconut Sauce, Carrot Cake with Orange Marmalade, Chocolate Sauce, Key Lime Pie (Key Lime Custard baked in Graham Crust with Whip Cream).
Don’t come here for quiet conversation – noise levels can get pretty intense, especially during peak dining times.
Before you leave, pick up a Coconuts Jerk Sauce and/or Habanero Sauce “to-go” (both can be bought at the restaurant). Coconuts Jerk Sauce is made from a traditional recipe using imported Jamaican Allspice Berries and Scotch Bonnet; shipped from Florida and the Caribbean. We like adding it to chicken dishes – it really adds a lot of flavor… and bite!
If you have time before you eat, or better yet, after your meal (so you can walk it off), head over to University Avenue – it’s a great place to stroll and shop. Guys… there’s an Apple store (located at 451 University) so you can always do what we do if you’re with your honey – split up for half an hour or more and meet up afterwards. It works for us!
Have any of you dined here recently? What did you think of the food?
Copyright 2011 lovetoeatandtravel.com All Rights Reserved