I called my friend Sandra in South Africa to wish her a “Happy Birthday” (it was a big one) and asked her what she was doing to celebrate her special “landmark” day. When she told me what she was planning, I thought it was such a creative idea. With a big birthday coming up myself, I decided to do the same thing and asked her if I could share it with everybody by writing a blog article. So here it is…
Celebrate Your Milestone Birthday Every Month for a Year
When celebrating a special birthday (i.e. 30, 40, 50, 60, 70…), instead of having a big party or taking a trip (both of which can be expensive), consider making it a year-long celebration. Do something special on your actual birthday – then celebrate on the same day of every month… all year-long. Why celebrate just one day when you can celebrate 12 – it’s a gift that keeps on giving!
Whatever you do doesn’t have to be extravagant – it can be something as simple as taking time out to do something special for yourself without feeling guilty. Plan ahead and block out time on your calendar (anything from an hour to a whole day) on that particular day every month so you don’t forget to do something fun. Here are a few examples of some of the things that you can do throughout the year to celebrate your milestone birthday:
- Walk along the water, lake or beach if you’re near one (see picture above)
(nothing like having a Zen moment and being out in nature to reflect on life)
- Listen to your favorite music and/or read a magazine or book without interruption
- Meditate for 20 minutes… or more!
- Take a new yoga or exercise class
- Call or Skype a family member or a friend just to say “hi”
(I don’t know about you, but there never seems to be enough time in the week to call family and friends and have a nice long chat, especially if they live in a different state or another country – most of my family are across the pond.)
- Have lunch with a friend or relative – or spend a fun day out with the girls!
- Enjoy a romantic dinner with your spouse or significant other
- Pamper yourself with a spa treatment – massage, facial, mani/pedi
(I really like the inexpensive DIY facial masks, available at CVS, Beauty stores and online) – play soothing music and relax in the comfort of your own home)
- See a movie – don’t forget the popcorn!
- Get away on a Spiritual Meditation Retreat for the day
(Barry and I went to Spirit Rock in Marin County, CA to celebrate my birthday and it was one of the best days ever – memories to last a lifetime)
- Have dinner with friends at your favorite burger or pizza joint
- Play tourist for the day in your city – we love doing this!
(find a scenic bay cruise, sightseeing tour or fun day trip)
- Take a nap, walk your dog. play with your cats… or do absolutely nothing
(to quote John Lennon… “time you enjoy wasting was not wasted”)
- Go shopping and treat yourself to something special (it doesn’t have to be anything expensive… maybe a new lipstick or a fun color nail polish).
- See the latest exhibit at one of your local museums
- Craving chocolate? Eat it guilt-free on your special day – you can diet tomorrow!
- Go for a bike ride, walk or hike along a scenic trail
(one afternoon we rented bikes in San Francisco and rode along the Marina Green and Chrissy Field out to the Golden Gate Bridge – one of the best views in the world!)
- Take an afternoon off work to play golf… or whatever
- Meet a friend for coffee or Happy Hour – try a new place
- Eat an ice-cream sundae with all the toppings or indulge in a decadent dessert
- Buy your favorite flowers and put them in vases around your house
- Picnic at the park, by a lake or on the beach
- Go wine-tasting or open a special bottle of wine and share it with a friend
- Ride the roller-coaster at an amusement park and feel like a kid again!
(try to get the first seat up front if you can – it’s the most exhilarating)
- Fill the bathroom with candles and take a long leisurely bubble bath
- Eat whatever you want… just for the day!
Whatever you do, have fun! Remember, it’s the memories that count.
What’s your most memorable landmark birthday… and why?